According to the Walk to End Alzheimer’s website, “Alzheimer’s is destroying our families, our finances and our future.” Consider these statistics as provided by the association:
- More than 6 million Americans are living with Alzheimer’s.
- Between 2000 and 2019, deaths from Alzheimer’s have increased 145%.
- Almost two-thirds of Americans with Alzheimer’s disease are women.
- One in three seniors dies with Alzheimer’s or another dementia.
- Alzheimer’s kills more than breast cancer and prostate cancer combined.
- More than 11 million Americans provide unpaid care for people with Alzheimer’s or other dementias.
- Fifty percent of primary care physicians believe the medical profession is not ready for the growing number of people with Alzheimer’s or other dementias.
- In the U.S., Alzheimer’s and dementia deaths have increased 16% during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- In 2021, Alzheimer’s disease will cost the United States $355 billion. This number is projected to rise to more than $1.1 trillion in 2050.
The Alzheimer’s Association defines the disease as the most common cause of dementia, a general term for memory loss and other cognitive abilities serious enough to interfere with daily life. Alzheimer’s disease accounts for 60-80% of dementia cases. School of thought associate the onset of Alzheimer’s disease with aging. However, it is not part of the aging process.
Capitol Imaging Services is joining the fight against Alzheimer’s disease by becoming a Louisiana statewide sponsor of the 2021 Walk to End Alzheimer’s events. Currently, events are scheduled for:
- Houma, LA – September 25, 2021
- West Monroe, LA – October 2, 2021
- Lake Charles, LA – October 9, 2021
- Alexandria, LA – October 16, 2021
- Mandeville, LA – October 17, 2021
- Baton Rouge, LA – October 23, 2021
- Shreveport, LA – October 30, 2021
- New Orleans, LA – November 13, 2021
- Lafayette, LA – November 20, 2021
Click here to learn more about these statewide events, including the opportunity to register!
Capitol Imaging Services is the largest independent radiology practice of its type serving the southeastern United States. Not only do we perform the scan such as an MRI or CT, but we also provide the radiology expertise to review test images and issue important findings to physicians and other healthcare providers.
We are excited about our partnership with the 2021 Louisiana Walk to Alzheimer’s. We hope to see many of you at one of the state events in the fall!