MR enterography is a special type of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) performed with a contrast material to produce detailed images of the small intestine.
MR enterography may be recommended to:
- Find internal bleeding
- Find areas of irritation and swelling
- Find abscesses, which are pus filled pockets, in the intestinal walls
- Find small tears in the intestine wall
- Find any blockages or obstructions
- Help track how well certain treatments are working
MR enterography is often recommended when you have Crohn’s disease and are likely to need many follow-up imaging tests. Crohn’s disease tends to strike young people, who are at particular risk from X-ray radiation. MR enterography can help avoid getting unnecessary doses of X-rays, also called ionizing radiation. Also, the procedure is better than CT scans for subtle soft-tissue problems. It captures excellent images of fluid and swelling, as well as active inflammation, bowel obstructions, abscesses, and fistulas, or abnormal passageways between organs.
Identified benefits include:
- MRI is a noninvasive imaging technique that does not involve exposure to ionizing radiation.
- MRI enables the discovery of abnormalities that might be obscured by bone with other imaging methods.
- The contrast material used in MRI exams is less likely to produce an allergic reaction than the iodine-based contrast materials used for conventional x-rays and CT scanning.
- MR enterography is more reliable than x-ray imaging for correctly identifying areas of Crohn’s disease involvement.
- Because MR enterography does not involve ionizing radiation, the procedure is especially beneficial for the evaluation of young patients with Crohn’s disease.
- MR enterography can eliminate the need for video capsule endoscopy (VCE) and the potential complications of that procedure.
Our Capitol Imaging Services affiliate, Diagnostic Imaging Services (DIS), performs this specialty MRI study. DIS can be contacted directly at 504-883-5999 or 985-641-2390 to schedule a visit.
Capitol Imaging Services continues to innovate with new imaging studies provided in a relaxed, calm and friendly outpatient environment, while often lowering out of pocket costs for people due to performing exams at lower fees. For people with unfulfilled health insurance deductibles, that’s a major financial advantage.
Capitol Imaging Services is doctor trusted and patient preferred.