When it comes to selecting a facility to have diagnostic imaging needs met, patients often are faced with the decision between the hospital and a freestanding, outpatient imaging center. Finding the highest quality at the lowest price is the mission of many people today, particularly those with high deductible health insurance plans. It is important to note that there is a cost savings to be realized locally, without giving up any measure of quality, technology, and excellent service.
People seeking the most affordable imaging services should be aware that hospitals and their affiliated facilities are usually more expensive than freestanding outpatient centers. This is in part because hospitals are allowed to charge Medicare and most other commercial insurers a facility fee. It can cost up to 3/4 less to have an imaging exam at a freestanding imaging facilities such as the affiliates of Capitol Imaging Services.
Other positive features of centers such as Capitol Imaging Services include:
- The ability to speak with an associate who can provide you with a list price for an exam and walk you through your insurance benefits to arrive at a good faith cost estimate
- Shorter wait time and more personalized service for patients (hospitals often will bump you in favor of urgent or emergency in-patient needs)
- Technologists who are certified through the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT)
- Facilities that are accredited by the American College of Radiology (ACR) in multiple imaging technologies
- Very easy parking in front or around our centers: no multi-story parking garages, elevators or stairways
- The most advanced technology on the market including 3T MRI, 3D mammography, PET/CT and breast biopsy.
With all these features, many people wonder just how Capitol Imaging Services can be that much lower than hospitals. The simple straightforward answer is that Capitol Imaging Services does one thing and one thing only. That’s screening and diagnostic imaging. Hospitals attempt to do everything. When you try to do it all, hospitals tend to be bogged down in red tape and have extremely high operating expenses. So, hospitals charge more.
In medical imaging, price does not equate better quality. Independent providers from medical imaging to physicians with their own practices will save people money because our operating costs are lower.
How much less expensive? Let’s take something simple such as x-rays. In the greater New Orleans, LA area, known as Uptown, according to national research the average price for a chest x-ray (CPT code 71020) in the this area of the city is $297.
At Capitol Imaging Services, the price is estimated to be $142. To top it off, our price is for everything. At the hospital, you’ll be likely to incur an additional expense for the radiologist to interpret the x-ray scan.
When not an urgent or emergency situation, choose Capitol Imaging Services, the largest independent radiology practice of its type serving the southeastern United States. We are doctor trusted and patient preferred.
Click the REQUEST AN APPOINTMENT button (above right) to send us an email requesting assistance. An imaging associate will contact you to arrange your visit.