With the introduction of 3D mammography (tomosynthesis) at our Capitol Imaging Services affiliate centers in Metairie, LA and Columbus, MS, many questions are being asked about the advantages 3D offer to certain women over conventional mammograms. Here is a brief list of those points:
- 3D mammography is cited as most appropriate for women with dense breasts, breast cancer survivors, women with a family history of breast cancer (mother, sister, daughter) or women with genetic predisposition to breast cancer.
- It is touted as a superior mammogram that can be done in conjunction with a traditional digital mammogram.
- 22 of the top cancer centers in the United States utilize 3D mammography.
- A 3D exam takes no more time than a traditional mammogram and has the same dose as a traditional film mammogram.
- The additional benefits for women include:
- Lowering the possibility of having to come back for additional mammography imaging.
- 3D allows our radiologist to see through possible overlapping tissue in the breast to better visualize early cancers that are not able to be seen with conventional mammography.
- 3D mammography has been made known in one study of over 12,000 women to detect 40% more invasive cancers over digital mammography alone.
Capitol Imaging Services is the largest independent radiology practice of its type serving the Southeastern United States. Not only do we perform the scan, we provide the radiology expertise to review test images and issue critical findings to physicians and other healthcare providers.
Capitol Imaging Services also works to lower out of pocket expenses for people undergoing exams. For those with unfulfilled health insurance deductibles or no health insurance coverage, that’s a major financial advantage. And, that advantage is enjoyed without sacrificing quality of imaging technology, reporting or radiological expertise.
Should you decide, or your physician recommend, a 3D screening mammogram, click the green REQUEST AN APPOINTMEN button (above right) to send us an email requesting assistance. A Capitol Imaging Services associate will contact you to arrange your visit.
Capitol Imaging Services is doctor trusted and patient preferred.