Radiologists are doctors who specialize in the diagnosis of disease through interpreting imaging exams. Many patients would be surprised to know that after they get an imaging study, there is a physician behind the scenes who carefully reviews all of their images, and uses the provided clinical history to form a diagnosis! Radiologists interpret radiographs (x-rays), ultrasound, nuclear medicine exams, mammograms, CTs, and MRIs, and are often heavily involved in the decision making process in medicine.
Playing a key role
From broken bones to complex lung conditions, from traumatic back issues to tumors, radiologists are there to help the patient and health care provider arrive at a diagnosis so the provider can make decisions on treatment. Your radiologist has graduated from an accredited medical school, passed a licensing examination, and completed a residency of at least four years of unique postgraduate medical education.
Your radiologist plays a key role in your healthcare by:
- Acting as an expert consultant to your referring physician (the doctor who sent you to the radiology department or clinic for testing) by aiding him or her in choosing the proper examination, interpreting the resulting medical images, and using test results to direct your care.
- Treating diseases by means of radiation (radiation oncology) or minimally invasive, image-guided therapeutic intervention (interventional radiology).
- Correlating medical image findings with other examinations and tests.
- Recommending further appropriate examinations or treatments when necessary and conferring with referring physicians.
- Directing radiologic technologists (personnel who operate the equipment) in the proper performance of quality exams.
Focused on important areas of care
Capitol Imaging Services has a radiology team that is entirely focused on these important areas:
- Quality in terms of the care and experience you, as a patient, receive at a Capitol Imaging Services center.
- Quality in the reports and images generated from exams and sent to health care providers to assist in their diagnostic process.
- Continuing to be innovative in incorporating the latest imaging techniques to better serve both patients and providers.
As imaging experts, radiologists are an essential part of the medical team.
Radiologists consult with physicians on a daily basis, both to discuss the best imaging test to perform in the care of a given patient, to go over the imaging results or to have a clinical discussion about the best imaging exam to perform that will best benefit the patient. Radiologists can also consult directly with patients. This interaction is often fruitful because it helps the patient see and hear about their test results from the doctor specifically trained to interpret the test.
Click the REQUEST AN APPOINTMENT button (above right) to send us an email requesting appointment assistance. A Capitol Imaging Services associate will contact you to set your visit.
Capitol Imaging Services is doctor trusted and patient preferred.